The Local Material Promotion Authority (MIPROMALO) was created by Decree No. 90/1353 of 18 December 1990, amended and supplemented by Decree No. 2018/594 of 17 October 2018 and reorganised as a Public Institution of a scientific, technical and professional nature. Its head office is located in Yaounde (NKOLBIKOK). It operates under the technical supervision of the Ministry of Scientific Research (MINRESI) and the financial supervision of the Ministry of Finance (MINFI). The structure is administered by a Board of Directors and a Directorate General.
MIPROMALO's objective is to promote the use of locally manufactured materials in order to reduce the costs of building national infrastructure.
As a result of its reorganisation, its missions have now been extended to the development of innovative materials.
In this respect, it is responsible for the following, in collaboration with national and international public and private organisations :
- conducting research, locating and estimating local and innovative material deposits, and determining parameters for their exploitation;
- studying various techniques and methods of exploiting, processing and using local and innovative materials, as well as their dissemination to the population and national economic operators;
- putting labels and providing technical assistance for the standardisation of local and innovative materials, in conjunction with the administration concerned ;
- identifying and providing technical assistance to companies involved in production and construction of low-cost housing, using local and innovative materials ;
- carrying out contract works, managing projects and supervising State building sites using local or innovative material, in collaboration with the relevant authorities;
- setting up and organising experimentation, production and exploitation sites for local and innovative materials;
- setting up pilot units for industrial production, economic and professional valorisation of local and innovative building materials;
- valorising and executing projects on local and innovative materials for the benefit of third parties;
- training on the use of local and innovative building materials;
- creating incubators and business nurseries in the field of local and innovative building materials;
- support for the creation of innovative companies in the field of local and innovative building materials;
gradually integrating the local architectural heritage in the production of various equipment and ensuring stability within the professional building structures .